West Essex Tribune Celebrates 90th Anniversary

News Staff's picture
Article Image Alt Text

Inaugural Issue Featured New Firehouse and Bow-Tie Lesson:

With this issue, the West Essex Tribune marks its 90th year of continuous publication. The newspaper was founded by Herbert Harris, and was published for the fi rst time on July 6, 1929. A fi ve-part series of articles will trace the history of the newspaper and, with it, the township.

The masthead listed Herbert Harris as publisher, with Vere F. Harris – probably related, possibly his brother or son – serving as editor. The Tribune offices were located on Brookside Avenue, and could be reached by telephone at “Livingston 343.” The newsstand price for the eight page, five column broadsheet was 2¢; subscriptions cost $1 per year. Although the inaugural issue was date-lined Saturday, July 6, the paper would subsequently be published weekly on Fridays.

 

 

To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition http://www.etypeservices.com/West%20Essex%20TribuneID480/

 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet