Ely Cemetery Open for Veterans’ Day

News Staff's picture

The Livingston Historical Society will open the historic Ely Cemetery, located on Hillside Avenue, for public tours on Veterans’ Day, Saturday, November 11 from 2 to 4 p.m.

The cemetery was established by Captain William Ely, a veteran of the French and Indian War, on a rood (quarter acre) of his land in 1777 when his daughter, Elizabeth Ely Jones, her second husband, Frederick Jones, and their infant son, Benonni, all died within two weeks of each other. The plot was enlarged to its present size in 1864 by Ambrose Ely. The stone wall that surrounds the cemetery is made of rocks quarried from Riker Hill, which was part of the Ely Family’s property.

To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition http://www.etypeservices.com/West%20Essex%20TribuneID480/

Rate this article: 
No votes yet